Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 01:31:44 +0300

>> BTW, why browse-url.el still doesn't support the Brave web browser?
>
> I know nothing about Brave, but I'm wondering instead why it is that
> browse-url.el would need special support for specific browsers.
> Can't it just run "the" browser, whichever it is?

There is a lot of cruft accumulated in browse-url.el mostly for old browsers
with different handling of command line arguments for "new-window-is-tab" logic.
But it seems nowadays only three options should be sufficient:

- use the default browser found by browse-url-default-browser;
- or use Emacs browser eww;
- or allow to specify a browser program name with additional arguments.