Re: master f51f963: Fix some side-effecting uses of make-text-button

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master f51f963: Fix some side-effecting uses of make-text-button
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 16:42:28 -0700

On 6/7/20 8:24 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> String literals yield constant strings when evaluated.
> This seems less obvious.  How do you do that?

Well, perhaps my terminology wasn't the best.

The basic idea is that when 'read' scans a string literal, it yields a constant
string rather than a mutable one. Similarly for when you load string literal
from an .elc file, or restore a string from a dump where the string came from a
string literal, etc. So evaluating a string literal gives you a constant because
string literals are self-quoting and they are constants already.