Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 11:55:59 +0300

> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 07:43:57 +0000
> From: Theodor Thornhill <theothornhill@pm.me>
> Cc: philip@warpmail.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> What if we offer this workflow:
>
> - the git implementation of the backend offers only file bound  alternatives.
> To me that seems kind of
> reasonable, since its task is to track actual files and ignores.
>
> - in addition, we offer something similar to org-add-to-agenda-files. Then my
> *xref*, Andriis inferior python,
> shells and whatever you want to add can be added.
>
> - obviously we then need an option to delete files from that new list
>
> I imagine this being implemented just with a new defvar-
> project-additional-buffers, or something like that.
>
> Then switch to buffer just adds them as well.
>
> Could something like this be viable?

I proposed to find a different way of telling which buffer is related
to a project, other than by looking at its default-directory.  We
could design a way of doing that which would then support adding
buffers to a project quite easily.  But Dmitry doesn't think we should
go that way.

More to the point, my question is how would adding a buffer to the
project be recorded and where, under your proposal?