Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs? WAS: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 05:35:24 +0300

> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <hi-angel@yandex.ru>
> Cc: rekado@elephly.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org, stefan@marxist.se,
>       joaotavora@gmail.com, dgutov@yandex.ru
> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 01:25:15 +0300
>
> So, I recalculated by looking at date of the last commit of those "500" in
> GCC,
> and used that date on Clang. I made sure to sort out other corporate mails
> too.
> Command I used is:
>
>       git log --since="Jun 8 21:34:46" --format="%ae" | grep -vP
> "@\S*(redhat|arm|suse|google|gnu|adacore|alibaba|intel|ibm|apple|linaro|huawei|c
> odesourcery|golang|sony|amd|chromium|nvidia|loongson|accesssoftek|ubisoft|micros
> oft|fb|energize|comstyle|nextsilicon|quicinc|azul|gentoo|graphcore|gdcproject|si
> five|imagelabs|xilinx|sap|sas|sigmatechnology|sonarsource|ericsson|lowrisc|hight
> ec-rt|polymagelabs)\.(org|com|de|cz|cn|ai|se)" | sort -u | wc -l
>
> So, now GCC still gets 15, while for Clang this number gets increased to 89.

This metric is irrelevant.  Basically, you removed everyone who was a
prominent developer, so it's little wonder that you are left with a
small number.  Using such arbitrary criteria, one can "prove" anything
for any project.

Once again, the long history and the active development of GCC over
those long years are a clear evidence that your criterion is
completely off the mark.