Re: scratch/tzz/auth-source-reveal-mode 4a7c98d 3/3: Create and document

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: scratch/tzz/auth-source-reveal-mode 4a7c98d 3/3: Create and document auth-source-reveal-mode
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:29:50 +0000

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 17:09:08 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

SM> Yes, it's needed first: in some modes, enabling `prettify-symbols-mode`
SM> can lead to really undesirable behavior (e.g. in Haskell it can lead to
SM> code being plain wrong since it can affect indentation and indentation
SM> is semantically significant like in Python).  So you really can't impose
SM> it on the unsuspecting user.

Agreed. It was better to start with something cleaner. So, I created a
whole new prettify-text API and reimplemented auth-source-reveal-mode on
top of it. It worked well in my testing.

The new branch is scratch/tzz/prettify-text-mode (I left
scratch/tzz/auth-source-reveal-mode in place as a reference).

The new code won't interfere with existing `prettify-symbols-mode'
users. Eventually `prettify-symbols-mode' could be migrated to this new
API to avoid the code duplication in the post-command-hook and
elsewhere.

If you have suggestions or comments, please let me know. I'll document
the API before I push the branch out.

Ted