Re: buffer-face-set changes the fringe, is it a bug?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: buffer-face-set changes the fringe, is it a bug?
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 20:17:36 +0300

> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 09:01:16 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Another possibility, which I didn't think about earlier, would be to
> (implicitly) use an empty face, that is, to make omitting the face
> equivalent to specifying an empty face in
> xdisp.c:handle_single_display_spec().  This works perfectly well:

There's no reason to change anything in xdisp.c because you can have
what you want without any changes.  It is unwise to change
long-standing behavior because in some situations it could produce
results that might surprise some people.  And now that we have the
documentation more elaborate on this, that confusion should be even
more rare.

It's time we've put this minor issue to rest.