Re: "whether the global keymap C-x 4 will be replaced by a command,"

From: Barry Fishman
Subject: Re: "whether the global keymap C-x 4 will be replaced by a command,"
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 09:00:58 -0400

On 2020-07-14 23:32:33 -04, Richard Stallman wrote:
> If this change will make help commands fail to entirely work,
> why do it?
>
> On he other hand, if the change is a great big improvement, I suppose
> we can create a mechanism to allow the help commands to work 100% with
> this new command.  Please don't fail to make that work.

There seems to be alternatives to those proposed.

When getting "C-h k" help and you enter a prefix command, Emacs it
waiting for you to finish the command.  If you then type 'C-h', and that
has no binding it could just list what the bindings at that point are.
The use of C-h after a prefix tends to be use only to list the bindings
anyway, so if it is defined it only tells you that it is a command to
give you what you are looking for.

A less useful though more complex solution is to use tab with "C-h k"
help to first give you a list of possible completions and having to
type tab again to get help for tab itself.

The least work would be to just add a "C-h 4 C-h" command to get help
on the "C-h 4" commands available as is done in many other places.
--
Barry Fishman