Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:37:16 +0300

On 22.07.2020 19:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

If I drop both instances of the word "general" from the sentence I
quoted, there will be nothing left.

In _my_ sentence above there's only one "general".  the other one is
"generics", a different word.

Same root, similar purpose.

Describing what generics return is fine, the project-current's docstring already does that, actually. The issue is in the manner of the description. You insist on describing the data structure (as opposed to describing associated behaviors), but the callers of that function should never need it.

And speaking of "transient", it's not helpful to say it returns a cons
(transient . root) because that doesn't say anything about the project
behavior anyway (which is the important part).

A backend that receives such an object will need to be prepared for
it.

The backend returned that value, so it is surely prepared.

No, it's project-current that did.

project-current received it from the backend and returned it to the caller.