Re: Regarding outline headings in emacs-lisp libraries

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Regarding outline headings in emacs-lisp libraries
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 23:22:01 -0400

>> Stefan seems to dislike the idea of doing away with the "Code:" name
>> more strongly than I do.
> And I still don't understand why.

I have the strong suspicion that renaming all those `;;; Code:` in all
those files *will* lead to regressions, since that convention's been
with us for so many years and followed by such a wide percentage of all
distributed Elisp files, that I expect it's used by several scripts we
don't know about.

And of course, we won't be able to rename them all, since too many of
them aren't under our control anyway.  So ";;; Core:" will be with us
for the next 10 years whether we like it or not.

Now, if the benefit were significant, I wouldn't mind, but AFAICT, the
benefit of renaming is very small (at least, given the alternative names
I've seen proposed so far which all seemed rather bland).

        Stefan