Re: Remote asynchronous processes

From: Sean Whitton
Subject: Re: Remote asynchronous processes
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 12:08:42 -0700

Hello Michael,

On Tue 04 Aug 2020 at 02:27PM +02, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Finally, I've committed a respective patch to Emacs master. Read the
> Tramp manual (info "(tramp) Improving performance of asynchronous
> remote processes") about.

I hope you don't mind me replying here to ask a question about this.

Is there a way to turn this on for all SSH connections which don't use
multi-hops?  I.e. all SSH connections originating from localhost with no
further hops?  I imagine this is something a lot of users would want to
turn on.

I assume it would be unwise to use

(add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
                  "direct-async-process" t))

or similar, because there can be implicit multi-hops thanks to tramp
tramp-default-proxies-alist and tramp remembering used proxies.

--
Sean Whitton