Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:47:15 +0200

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 10:28:40PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > Whether one likes it or not, Outlook is the default email solution
>   > for many companies and unviersities, including mine. Therefore we
>   > need to think of a solution that preferably works for more than
>   > just Gmail.
>
> We can't even start to think about that in the abstract.
> We need a concrete question.
>
> What public interfaces does Outlook support?

Outlook is the client (kind-of MUA). The server is called Exchange [1],
which, if the admins are friendly, can support IMAP (well, some sort
of Microsoft bastardized IMAP, but which works reasonably).

But I've heard that Microsoft is softly trying to push their clients
off IMAP (which makes sense, since, as they are losing grip with their
(non-)operating system offers, they are trying to re-gain it with their
all-in-one enterprise lock-in offers aka Office 356.

Cheers

[1] I always understood that name as an incitation, as in "Exchange
   this server, please"

 - t