Re: master b8062be 3/5: Remove some compat code from eudc-bob.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master b8062be 3/5: Remove some compat code from eudc-bob.el
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:23:57 -0400

>> > I think we can simply delete the line that sets
>> > buffer-file-coding-system: in a unibyte buffer it doesn't
>> > matter anyway.
>> IIRC it can make a difference w.r.t line-endings.
> How?

If your global file-coding-system settings use DOS, I guess?

> And why does that matter in the case in point?

No idea, but before removing that code we would have to find out why it
*doesn't* matter.

>> > (And it's wrong to use 'binary' for producing files that will
>> > be processed by programs other than Emacs, because 'binary' spills out
>> > the Emacs internal representation of characters.)
>> It's definitely not wrong for unibyte buffers where there's no "internal
>> representation of characters" that can spill out ;-)
> We cannot know that in general.

Yes, we do: unibyte buffers have no "internal representation of
characters" that can spill out.

> Why live dangerously?

To me `binary` is *the* coding-system to use when you have bytes and
want to write them in a file (and same when you want to read the *bytes*
of a file into a buffer).
Do you know a less "dangerous" alternative?

        Stefan