Re: New obsolete.el file for obsolete stuff?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: New obsolete.el file for obsolete stuff?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:24:18 +0000

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> I was investigating some XEmacs compat code the other day and stumbled
> across their library obsolete.el, which they used to put all their
> obsolete aliases.
>
> You can find their library here:
>
>     https://bitbucket.org/xemacs/xemacs/src/default/lisp/obsolete.el
>
> Its Commentary says:
>
>     The obsoleteness support used to be scattered throughout various
>     source files.  We put the stuff in one place to remove the junkiness
>     from other source files and to facilitate creating/updating things
>     like sysdep.el.
>
> I think this is a nice idea to basically move some cruft out of the way,
> to where we don't need to see it.
>
> Could we do something similar for Emacs?  I'm thinking that we don't
> need to move all stuff at once, but if we create the file with a basic
> structure, we could start using it little by little.

Am I wrong or the trouble is that such a file would require all
necessary dependencies for the functions moved into?  If that's the case
either only code with autoloaded or no dependency can be moved there or
a massive number of requires would be needed.  I'm not sure the solution
is not very practical in this respect.

Regards

  Andrea

--