Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 18:15:33 +0300

> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 13:54:50 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > I'm not sure it would make much difference to the speed at which people
> > move away from using the obsolete feature (which is really all that
> > matters, in the end).
> >

> FWIW, I think it would.  With the current situation there is no concrete
> reason to move away from such a feature.  As Eli wrote "we don't really
> know whether we will remove [an absolete feature], let alone when", so it
> could very wall stay there forever, and I can understand Drew's viewpoint
> who did not make the effort to update the 2500 lines of his codebase in
> which 'interactive-p' is used.  If he had been warned, when Emacs 25 was
> released, with:
>
> (declare (pending-removal called-interactively-p "27"))
>
> he would have known that it would be removed in a medium term, and would
> have had a reason to update his codebase.

You seem to be under the impression that we have difficulty removing
obsolete features when we decide it's time for that.  But the reality
is we do remove such obsolete features.  It's the decision to do so
that's difficult, not the execution of the removal once we do decide.

P.S.  Could you please refrain from using Reply-To in your messages?
It causes emacs-devel to appear twice in the addresses of the