Re: vertical fido-mode

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: vertical fido-mode
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:37:46 +0200

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 03:35:57AM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:

But zsh doesn't jump to completions - the cursor remains on the command line
(the minibuffer in Emacs).  Something like this would be more preferable
where navigation keys will insert completions from the *Completions* buffer
to the minibuffer - without leaving the minibuffer.

Hi Jury:

This is why I said zsh-like. The problem with this is that in
*Completions* some letters like q or z are bind to something and
changing that will modify too much the actual user experience.

While in the minibuffer the horizontal arrows are used to
move-forward/backward and the vertical to search in history.

Do you have any alternative?

OTOH this is the simplest I could implement making minimal changes with
the hope of making some of this enabled by default in the "near" future
without too many old users complains.

Otherwise we will implement just-another new mode that will be off by
default and probably nobody will use as there is ido/fido/icomplete/ivy
and so on.

So far there are some details in the actual user experience with
*Completes* I didn't change intentionally.

1) Completions are only shown on demand (TAB)

2) When completions are shown TAB tries to scroll the completions buffer
if not all of them are visible (actual behavior)

3) The completions are updated on demand (TAB) only (unlike zsh that they are
updated automatically on input)

4) Arrows and navigation keys keep their current meaning either in
minibuffer and *Completions* buffer.

So far this doesn't changes the current experience at all, so old users
won't complain and we could enable this by default.

The only addition was the jump to completions with a TAB when all
completions are shown.

And exit completions with C-g like in zsh.

Do you think it worth doing a stronger change?