Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 22:44:18 +0300

> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 20:16:41 +0100
> From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
>
> As a starter for 10

Who or what is "10"?

> this is a file that tests features. The idea would
> be to include it in the main (not test) lisp hierarchy, probably with a
> single autoloaded command "feature-test" or something which would run
> ert with an appropriate selector. This would make it available for use
> in any Emacs distribution without having to include any files only found
> in the repo.
>
> Obviously more features to go. I haven't worked out how to test the
> existence of harfbuzz yet.

  (car (frame-parameter nil 'font-backend))

> I guess I need to test everything with a
> "--without-" configuration option that is relevant on windows.
>
> Thoughts? Installable to emacs-27? As EMACS/lisp/feature.el?

I don't understand why this has to be ert tests.  Why not just a
simple function that performs a series of tests and produces a report
about each test?

Also, shouldn't it be in admin/nt?  It's w32-specific, right?  What is
the rationale for having it in lisp/ ?