Re: Native compilation: the bird-eye view

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Native compilation: the bird-eye view
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 11:37:37 -0400

> I've updated how we generate the eln filenames and now they are in the
> form: filename-path_hash-content_hash.eln
>
> where path_hash is computed using the absoulte path of the source file
> and content_hash using its content.

[ Note: it's not a "path" but a "file name", according the GNU's
  conventions.  ]

Hmm... this results in too-long file names IMO, and the absolute file
name can change "gratuitously", making those eln files suddenly unusable.

> This should enable us for keepeng the eln-cache folders clean and solve
> the issue mentioned in my previous message.

I don't have a clear understanding of the problem this is trying to solve.
Could you summarize it?

If you're worried about how to delete old .eln files, I think there are
two problems: identifying which .elc files still exist and identifying
which Emacs binaries still exist.

But the first problem can arguably be solved by scanning the `load-path`,
collecting the .elc files we find there (and kind of GC algorithm
where `load-path` acts as the roots).

        Stefan