Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 18:01:48 +0100

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
  phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:14:47 -0400

> The advantage of what I proposed is that it also detects the cases
> where HarfBuzz is available, but for some reason not used.

That can be useful in some cases, but I think in the present case it's
a disadvantage: we want to know what the executable (and installed libs)
provide, rather than what the ~/.emacs chose to use.

No, we want to know what the executable and its environment, as
provided in the bundle, will yield at run time.

I agree that it might catch some irrelevant circumstances, but that's
inevitable, at least if such simple tests are being sought.

At the moment, it is enough to tell me that the distribution I have produced actually has the features that it has been compiled with.

I've picked simple tests because they do that and simple is better than complicated. I'll make it complicated when it is clear that simple is not complicated enough.

Phil