Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 20:30:05 +0200

ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt) writes:

>    > When you use tramp, you're not running Emacs remotely; remotely means
>    > that Emacs is run/executed on a different host (e.g., X11 forwarding)
>    > not that you access buffers on a different remote host.
>
>    True.  But I in fact was thinking of the other case:
>    locally running Emacs accessing remote resources
>    (files).  We can at least handle that use case well.
>
>    If we can _also_ somehow handle the case you're
>    talking about, so much the better.
>
> INCF, but should that then also show if e.g., you are accessing a file
> using sudo/su/...?

tramp-theme shows that. If you're paranoid, you could even get a red
fringe in case the user name of current-buffer is "root", as
alert. Configurable.

> What if you do multi-hop using tramp?

tramp-theme shows you just the last hop (at least it should, not tested
ATM). This is what counts.

> It might quickly become quite alot of information in the title, that
> we don't even show in the mode-line today.

That's why I'm also in favor of making it optional and configurable.

Best regards, Michael.