RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 12:16:40 -0700 (PDT)

>    You are the first person to say that `invocation-name' is important to
>    keep.  Would like to expand on the use-case you have in mind, and why
>    you think it is important to keep as the default?
>
> I can think of one situation, when running multiple emacs:en of
> different version.  E.g, development versions or when you wish to run
> an older or newer version.

1. `invocation-name' doesn't tell you anything about
the Emacs version, AFAICT.

2. As Eli would presumably point out [*], users who
have installed multiple Emacs versions are uncommon,
and those of them who run more than one version at
the same time are even more uncommon.  (I'm one of
them, FWIW.)

3. The discussion is about defining the _default_
frame-title format.  Users can define the format
any way they want.  The default should work well
for most users most of the time in most contexts.

_____

[*]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42993#8