Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 14:46:31 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The display engine calls the function which produces the frame's title
> very frequently.  You have just made redisplay much slower due to this
> call (abbreviate-file-name is a large and complex function, and you
> call Lisp on top of that), and caused most redisplay cycles prfoduce
> more garbage.  Is it really worth it?

Thanks, I didn't know it was called very frequently.  I think it's most
definitely not worth slowing down redisplay.  We should probably replace
it with the "%b" we had before.

BTW, I assume this caveat applies in equal measure to using `:eval' in
`frame-title-format'?  Do they apply also to `icon-title-format' and
`mode-line-format'?  If yes, should we warn users about it in
(info "(elisp) Mode Line Data") or (info "(elisp) Frame Titles")?