Re: ELPA -- making individual packages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA -- making individual packages
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 21:08:45 -0400

> I just realized to my horror that my Gnorb package in ELPA barfs up
> several screenfuls of warnings when it compiles. I'd like to fix those
> warnings by compiling it with a clean batch Emacs, using the GNUmakefile
> in the git repo, but my only option is to make *all* the packages at
> once, and that fails almost immediately on cpio-mode.

[ Hmm... cpio-mode seems to build fine for me (with a crapload of
  warnings, tho).  Can you send me the error log so I can try and
  fix it?  ]

> Can "make" do catchall targets, where for instance I could say "make
> gnorb" and make would check that "gnorb" isn't an existing target, and
> the catchall target would say "if the directory "packages/gnorb" exists
> then compile that, otherwise bail"?

I don't think `make` can do exactly that, but there's no doubt that we
should be able to provide a way to build just a particular package
(maybe the target would have to be called something else than just
`gnorb`, e.g. `compile-gnorb`).  It's probably not that hard.

        Stefan