Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 09:58:03 +0100

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 5:34 PM Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:

> Sorry but I can't understand why "old" users, that can write lisp lines
> easily to their configs, can't understand that for new users (and
> younger ones) those lines sometimes takes hours or days (mainly because
> they don't know what/where/how to look for, and lisp is not so
> popular or familiar these days). And that the first impression when they
> open emacs is like going back to 1998.

I think this is a very compelling argument.

I have to say that even as a "old" (oldish) user who has learned
to cherish the medieval Emacs defaults and would be slightly
annoyed at seeing some new defaults that I would have to configure
away.  But precisely like Ergus argues, that's kind of easy for me,
and not for newcomers.

This point comes up here so often that probably someone has
already suggested this silly idea:  Why not have a -1998
(or -1334 (; ) startup switch for the old timers?

João Távora