Re: about fido-mode

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: about fido-mode
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 21:59:16 +0200

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 07:12:31PM +0000, andres.ramirez wrote:
Hi. Ergus.

This proposal about the defaults is a great starting point:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg00159.html

Yes when I have some time I will (try to) go for it. (I am not a
prominent lisper, so It will take me a lot of time... but I have at
least two years for that ;p )

"Ergus" == Ergus  <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

[...]

   >> - ido-mode (everywhere)

   Ergus> We have had some "issues" with ido support and integration with the
modern completion
   Ergus> infrastructure. I am working in the default completion infrastructure
and icomplete/fido
   Ergus> to improve them a bit (keeping things simple) and make "fido more
ido" when possible.

I have had a problem with this ido based funct when testing eglot on a C source
file:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/magnars/2360578/raw/822b60a5572ae208641f90b0e209fd93082f0153/gistfile1.el

Because of the issue above Joao told me "eglot works fine with fido-mode".
I have tried it for a couple of hours (I have found below issues with fido):
1. Y on dired-mode does not work. {Y runs the command
dired-do-relsymlink}. I could not write the name of the symlink.
2. I could not use my aliases {I have a bunch of them}

Please give me some more details to reproduce. These two are working
fine for me.

3. fido vertical mode is not on pair with ido. Some vertical
misalignment

Fido vertical is actually an external package. I am implementing an
internal alternative which is still in bared bones.

There is a branch features/icomplete-vertical that I shared with Joao to
try and improve (please don't try it yet it is WIP).

Also I should mention the discussion on this bug about the completion
mechanism (improvement of the documentation):
http://debbugs.gnu.org/41423

This seems to be related with the completion backend. The big guys are
already working on that...
- helm-M-x
   Ergus> This overlap some functionalities of ido right? Any way Helm will not
come to vanilla due
   Ergus> to copyright issues...

helm as ido (stated above) also does not let me use my aliases (below are a
couple of
examples)
(defalias 'cc 'compile)
(defalias 'rc 'recompile)