RE: Changes for emacs 28

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 21:53:11 -0700 (PDT)

> 3. File opening dialogue is completely throwing the new user off -
> people are too used to pop-up file opening dialogue listing all the
> files. The message area is even not noticed.

> 6. Some new users might be confused by default file open dialogie
> involving mode-line. I believe that similarly to CUA-mode, Emacs can
> emulate more standard approach by offering dired as a way to open files
> (not enabled by default, but offered as a customisation together with
> CUA-mode).

Doesn't menu File > Open File do what you request,
by default?  Likewise, other file operations, such
as File > Insert File, File > Save As, and File >
Open Directory.

On MS Windows, for example, this just uses the usual
Windows file selection dialog box.

This depends on the value of option `use-file-dialog',
but that's `t' by default (as is `use-dialog-box').

 "Non-nil means mouse commands use a file dialog to ask for files.
  This applies to commands from menus and tool bar buttons even when
  they are initiated from the keyboard.  If 'use-dialog-box' is nil,
  that disables the use of a file dialog, regardless of the value of
  this variable."

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Dialog-Boxes.html