Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: TEC
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 00:02:12 +0800

Hello everyone,

This is my first time jumping onto the emacs-devel ML so don't be too
harsh :P (also, I'm not subscribed, so if there are anyone wants to
mention me, please CC me).

Yesterday, Gregory Heytings wrote
> FWIW, my own experience with this kind of tools is that those who do
> not have initially a good non-technical reason to use it ...
> This external motivation is necessary to "climb the learning curve",
> so to speak, and "better" defaults will have no influence on it.

If I may interject - I am exactly that user. I started using Emacs via.
Doom early this year, and I honestly doubt that I would still be using
it now otherwise.

The motivating factor was annoyance with JupyterLab. Doom allowed me to
'get started' easily. Looking back on it now, had I had to "climb the
mountain", I don't think I'd be here today. I think I can thank Doom for
turning "climb the mountain" into "slide down the rabbit-hole".

IMO the most significant factor is that Doom allowed me to "just get
started" with the tasks which caused my lingering interest to manifest
into installing. While now I couldn't imagine going without Emacs, that
initial ease was crucial.

If there is further interest in exactly how I think Doom worked for me
when vanilla Emacs wouldn't, I'm more than happy to elaborate :)

All the best,

Timothy.