Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 17:18:05 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 23:51:30 -0400
> Cc: self@gkayaalp.com, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> But I have an idea for how to teach beginners those keys.
>
> Suppose that C-f ran a command that displayed this:
>
>    Want to move forward?  Type C-f again.  Search is C-s.
>
> After that, successive C-f's would move forward as usual.
>
> The idea is you'd be given that binding by default as a beginner,
> and you'd turn it off once you had learned C-f and C-s.
>
> C-o could do something similar, saying
>
>    Want to open a line?  Type C-o again.  Find File is C-x C-f.
>
> Would you have found that helpful?

The reason we didn't put these on the splash screen is because we have
a menu bar, where everyone can find these popular commands without the
need to read any instructions.  Who will not know nowadays that to
open a file, one need to click on "File" and look in the menu that
drops down from that?

What we put on the splash screen is stuff that is harder to come by,
and/or that is more important to have in the user's face.