Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 14:21:12 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> See, that's exactly the crux of the difficulty in these matters: ask N
> people about changing defaults to M options, and you get the number of
> different "please do this and this, but not that" opinions almost as
> large as the number of permutations.
>
> So either (1) we go for the lowest common denominator of features that
> most people agree to (which can easily be an empty set); or (2) we
> come up with groups of optional features which are turned on and off
> together.  The latter needs someone who'd figure out such groups,
> based on some principles, like experience or the kind of jobs that
> people want to do, or something else.  It isn't easy, but unless
> someone picks up the gauntlet, we will never move in that direction.

How about creating a new function that generates a report of
how a user has configured emacs.  Various options,
global-minor-modes, faces, etc, similar to what
report-emacs-bug generates.  Setup a separate email address
to receive reports and automatically tabulate what the
popular settings are.

Ship it with emacs 28.  Let it percolate into Doom,
Spacemacs and other distributions.  Then ask people far and
wide to run it.  This would generate actual data about
what's popular and what defaults people typically change and
could settle these recurring debates.

Like report-emacs-bug, it should display the info to the
user before sending so they can check that nothing personal
is revealed.

--

Howard