Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 15:01:44 -0400

     > I would find it entierly unusable (I've tried it several times) and I
     > know several people who use Emacs would find the same, so I do not
     > find it at all an exaggeration.

   Could you present some specific scenarios in which it works badly for
   you?  That would enable us to go deeper than "I love it" / "I hate
   it."

Sure, here is very simple example on how unintuitive the mode is from
the point of a Emacs user.  Installed undo-tree-mode, and enabled it.
In an empty buffer I write,

  foo bar baz

And issue C-x C-u -- the first thing it does is take over half the
screen and switches the buffer to a "undo tree visualizer" -- I just
want to undo whatever I did.

I try doing C-x C-u again -- that doesn't work, since the
undo-tree-visualizer mode doesn't support that binding.  Am I supposed
to move up and down to replace the text in this new buffer?  Seems so;
fair enough -- but that will make recording macros that change text
using undo very peculiar.  At this point, I disabled it out of
frustration.

Now how you would go about explainin this mode to a new Emacs user is
beyond me; since it involves several concepts that a beginner would
not have become used to to -- just the notion that doing undo will make
all kind of windows pop up is quite strange.