Re: Discoverability (was: Changes for 28)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Discoverability (was: Changes for 28)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 22:34:58 -0400

  > Since Emacs is for all intents and purposes an operating system in the
  > same sense that the Linux kernel is an operating system,

Emacs is not an operating system, and Linux (the kernel) is also not an
operating system.  Each of them is just part of an operating system.
You could say that both _fail_ to be an operating system in the same
sense.

See https://gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
https://gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus the history in
https://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

If there is a sense in which Emacs IS an operating system, I don't
know what it is.  If there is a sense in which Linux IS an operating
system, I don't know what it is.

Ultimately, we can't determine whether the statement is valid.

--
Dr Richard Stallman