Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 12:08:26 +0200

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 12:34:14PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 09:08:09 +0000
> > From: Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
> > <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> >
> > With vanilla Emacs you have indeed (see C-h w):
> >
> > kill-ring-save is on <C-insertchar>, <C-insert>, M-w, <menu-bar> <edit>
> > <copy>
> > yank is on C-y, <S-insertchar>, <S-insert>, <menu-bar> <edit> <paste>
> > kill-region is on C-w, <S-delete>, <menu-bar> <edit> <cut>
> >
> > So the CUA bindings are there.
>
> But not the "CUA bindings" that users out there expect, which is what
> we call "CUA mode".

Definitely. I didn't intend to imply otherwise. Rather I wanted to
remind people that "there is not a Right GUI", and that it changes
over time depending on whoever dominates whatever market out there.

The quintessence of my message is that there's a price to pay when
following those changing conventions (after all, there are lots of
Emacs users who use, e.g. C-c for something else!), and thus changing
a default always will take discussion, patience, and perhaps accepting
that the outcome isn't always what one wants.

[...]

> So the fact that IBM calls "CUA" something else is a tangent, not
> really relevant or important in this context.

I don't even think they care about it anymore ;-)