Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 19:51:11 +0200

> Maybe so.  I know nothing about such things, and
> I don't really want to start fiddling with them.
>
> Outlook "just works" for me, with lots of mailing
> lists and lots of interlocutors.  I've seen this
> problem only a few times, with a few correspondents.

You're going to see it more and more with mailing lists.  A person with
a strict SPF/DMARC policy (and that's getting more and more common) has
to have their From addresses rewritten by the mailing list software so
that the mail isn't tagged as spam, which is why (for instance)
Gregory's From header looks like:

From: Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org>

The mailing list software puts the original From in the Reply-To header
after doing this rewrite, and if you have software that (on a "wide
reply") just sends the response to the Reply-To header, you end up in
this mess.

We all have to deal with the fallout of this debacle called "modern
email".  Fortunately, all the Emacs mail user agents all do the right
thing here, so it's normally not a problem, but if Outlook does
something insane (and when doesn't it?), you're going to have to adjust.