RE: Changes for emacs 28

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

> > How hard is it to find this submenu?
> >
> > `Options' >
> >     `Show/Hide' >
> >       `Line Numbers for All Lines'
>
> By CUA, Show/Hide should be a top-level menu named View.

Really?  Even for setting persistent preferences?
I can imagine using `View' for changing something
for the time being, but not necessarily for
setting preferences (persistent configuration).

`Options' provides both behaviors.

[Some apps have an `Options' menu that stuff for
non-persistent changes and a `Preferences' submenu
for persisitent changes (configuration).]

> Someone who is (subconsciously) familiar with that
> convention will not think to look in Options.

I, like everyone, use lots of apps.  I have no idea
which (if any) follow the CUA convention (nor do I
care).

Some of them have `View' menus (not always top-level).
And some of them have `Preferences' or `Options' menus,
sometimes as a submenu under `File', `Edit', or `Tools'.

Different apps do things differently.  I really
don't think it's hard to find the ability to turn
line-number display on/off, either temporarily or
persistently, even for someone who might be looking
for it under a nonexistent `View' menu.  Do you?

Not difficult, that is, provide the menu-bar is shown.