Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 21:50:18 +0300

> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 20:40:11 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, ghe@sdf.org, tecosaur@gmail.com
>
> >> 1) Bind it also to another key
> >
> >This is what I had in mind.
> >
> Of course, this is the first to do in any case. Do you have any binding
> in mind?

Not in particular.  I think we should see what other keys customary
open menus in applications that don't want to use F10.

> >> 2) Show the binding somewhere (in the same bar or modeline) when
> >> xterm-mouse-mode is disabled.
> >
> >I don't see how xterm-mouse-mode is relevant: we are not talking about
> >the mouse, and TTY menus work without a mouse as well.
> >
> Ex: in gnome-terminal (which captures the F10) and with xterm-mouse-mode
> disabled it is almost impossible to access the menu (unless throw
> M-x but then the user can type the commands without needing the
> menubar).

You can open the menu. and then navigate it.  That the command which
opens the menu is invoked through M-x doesn't yet mean the rest of the
navigation is useless: the user can learn how to open the menu (a
single command), but still find the rest of the commands via the
menus, thus avoiding the need to know which commands they invoke.

> >> 3) Underline the letter in the menus that "opens" each menu from the
> >> keyboard (as some Windows applications do)
> >
> >How will that help?
> >
> With a disabled xterm-mouse-mode a first timer user doesn't know how to
> open the menu-bar, even its name. It will be specially useful to give
> some hints.

I disagree.  Once upon a time F10 was the universally accepted way.
If nowadays it is another key, or a group of other keys, we could
still provide menus that don't need a mouse.