Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 17:08:24 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 11.09.2020 14:29, Arthur Miller wrote:
>> Undo tree as a visualisation is very cool feature, and could be one of
>> unique Emacs features, if it could visualise any undo/redo history. I
>> don't use undo-tree myself, but I think that graphical representation of
>> undo history is a cool even if mostly gimmicky.
>
> It's not a gimmick. The buffer has its own set of commands with navigation
> along
> the branches of the tree.
I am refering to the drawing itself. When it comes to using undo, I am
sure you could feed data into helm (or other completion system) and
have a list of branches with fuzzy completion instead of graphical image
which probably would be as usefull or even more useful that graphical
tree. But as I said, I think the graphical representation itself is cool
and as you describe, for some users more clear option. I just undo with
M-x undo, in my case it is bound to C-_ and works just fine for me.

> And only when using them I really did, or several occasions, feel the benefit
> of
> Emacs's undo history data structure.
>
> Going along the branches of the undo tree, switching them at will, and
> skipping
> over some branches in favor older changes really makes the process easier to
> understand and saves time significantly.
Sure, whatever works. I didn't yet have encountered such case for
myself; I tried undo-tree some years ago and uninstalled it since I
never used it.