Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusion

From: Praharsh Suryadevara
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 13:04:15 -0500

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 12:48 PM Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
On 2020-09-11 18:46 +03, Gregory Heytings via Emacs development discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> They are indeed, I'm not denying this.  My point of view here is: what
> are the most essential things that a user needs to know to use Emacs
> if we have no more than three minutes?  Clearly (at least to me) it is
> possible to use Emacs without knowing what a "buffer" or a "window"
> is.

Someone who can’t spare more than three minutes to research a tool that
they may end up using for a life time for the majority of their workday
is IMHO not a kind of user we should strive to support.

I think it would be valuable, IMO there's too much unsaid for first-time users and there's important info that can get lost (like CUA mode),
it wouldn't help if they missed it. It helps to save people's time in the beginning, even if they know emacs may save them time later on.

Time is valuable.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427