Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:06:48 -0700

Hi Michael,

>>     Mark some tests as expensive
>
> Could you please give a reasoning? Declaring tests as expansive decreases
> heavily their application, giving us less chances to detect errors.

These tests all took 5-60 seconds to run, most in the lower end
admittedly.

The idea is to avoid that it will take a very long time to run the unit
tests as the test suite grows.  Arguably a unit test should never take
longer than a second, and even that is in the slow end.  If we have
10.000 unit tests taking a second each, just do the math of how long it
will take to run (even with parallelization).  We should not postpone
working on this until we are in that situation, IMHO, because by then it
will be a major pain.

I think the solution for important tests is to refactor the code to make
them run faster, for example by avoiding I/O or to make timers trigger
immediately.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas