Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 23:21:34 -0400

  > This is certainly not meant to come across as harsh.

I believe you.  I am sorry if my message sounded like criticism of
you.

                                                          It is a
  > description of what I have observed dozens of times while watching
  > people who had initial enthusiasm to try out Emacs, only to realize that
  > it requires much more time to get started than they imagined.

Now I understand.  There was hostility in those words, but it was not
your hostility.  You were describing the reactions of various others,
and what they were doing was venting their hostility.  You portrayed
that hostility and it came through and hit me in the face.

What you observed is an important fact, and reporting it was
potentially very useful.  But please, in the future, avoid repeating
the actual words with which they express hostility.  That is not the
part that can be helpful for Emacs development.

  > I agree with what others have pointed out earlier, namely that a lack of
  > pre-configuration of features such as automatic completion as you type
  > and more helpful matching and suggestion of inputs at dreaded empty
  > prompts would go a long way to reduce what is seen as an intimidating
  > amount of configuration that users would have to perform for features
  > that are readily available in most editors and IDEs (and of course
  > Emacs, once configured).

I think we're convinced of this, in general.

--
Dr Richard Stallman