Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 09:02:55 +0300

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 21:48:52 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >But if you think such "3-minute users" need a document to get them
> >started, by all means, write such a document.  It is not what the
> >tutorial attempts to do, though.
> >

> Lets say that the problem is the unfamiliar way how emacs work in some
> aspects.

Like what? please be more specific, otherwise it's very hard to
understand what you have in mind.

> In this list is repeated constantly that we shouldn't do this
> or that; or use a such set of bindings, colors, or methods just because
> the other editors do. So the only way to keep that is enforcing a
> learning curve because very little users will arrive trained in "the
> emacs way".

Once again: most basic things people expect from an editor "just work"
in Emacs OOTB.

> If a user opens any editor around he never looks into the menus for copy
> or paste, but just right-click and a panel or C-c and C-v as they are
> standard anywhere else.

So this is about CUA-like key bindings? or is there anything else?

> I don't like to enable CUA mode by default, but start emacs and work is
> not so easy so if a user only have 3 minutes to start he will open
> gedit, kwire, kate or geany and everything works as expected in those 3
> minutes.

Fine, then I guess this is what the "3-minute tutorial" should say.

> >> You mention "doc strings", but why on earth would a user who just started
> >> using Emacs read doc strings?
> >
> >To learn more about Emacs, of course.
> >

> I said that, 5-10 minutes is a bit better than 3. IMO the Mike's videos
> are the perfect format. Maybe the only problem is the emacs window size
> on the screen and that they are more oriented to the external packages
> than in the internals.

To have video tutorials for these purposes is perfectly okay.  I hope
we will be able to have them soon.

Thanks.