Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 11:03:33 +0200

On September 12, 2020 8:25:41 AM GMT+02:00, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 00:14:35 +0200
>> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>> Cc: ghe@sdf.org, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>,
>tecosaur@gmail.com,
>> casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> 4) Right click: (Probably it is the most lacking functionality and
>> surprising for any user not using the terminal.) Right click is
>expected
>> to bring a panel with the most common operations. It is useful, fast
>> and somehow standard since 1995 while removing most of the needs of
>the
>> toolbar which takes precious vertical space.
>
>We have this on C-mouse-2 and C-mouse-3. Putting those on mouse-2 and

The menu we have in C-mouse-3 does not show the most basic options like copy, paste, and so on to access them fast. We have there a set of maybe more advanced options; but not the basics, so that menu is less useful in general and its use is very poor in our days. BTW, xterm intercepts C-mouse-3 but not mouse-3.

Mouse-2 so far is used to paste or not used at all in the other editors... So we shouldn't touch that

>mouse-3 would fly in the face of pasting text from the window-system
>selection, which is something a text editor cannot possibly disable by
>default. Unless we are willing to abandon support for selections,
>that is (which I guess what the "modern" editors did?).

I think that modern editors removed that indeed and only use the clipboard. I am not saying to go or not in that direction and rebind everything; but at least add a more useful set of options to the panel could help.

>> 5) sidebar: most code editors have a button somewhere in the
>interface
>> to show/hide the sidebar to explore and open files/access symbols or
>see
>> open files.
>
>We have it in Options->Hide/Show.

Yes but the idea behind is to make it very accessible to toggle it on demand more frequently. Maybe we can add a bottom for that [>>] in the beginning of the modeline to give a toggle effect?