Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 15:34:35 +0300

> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 14:16:03 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >My point is that we should not put there unimportant options, let
> >alone those which we recommend not to change from the defaults.
> >
> We could add and extra optional SCREEN with advanced options. The user
> can click next if done with the options in this page or advanced and go
> for a more detailed and longer list of options.

Once we come up with the list of options we consider important and
useful for this target audience, we can then discuss whether the list
is long enough to warrant splitting.

> >Then perhaps we need to develop a new completion mechanism.  Which
> >IDEs show completion like icomplete-mode?
> >
> Sublime and atom have a menu pretty similar to ours. A bit more
> graphical oriented, but in the same "spirit".

"Spirit" is not what's important here, IMO.  What's important is the
visual appearance and the available actions and their effects.  What I
see out there is similar to Company, and quite different from
icomplete-mode, even when augmented by the vertical sub-mode.