Re: solarized

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: solarized
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:21:51 +0300

On 2020-09-16 04:30 +03, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the challenge WRT accessibility. For me, with very poor vision
> (legally blind), I find Solarized dark theme to be one of the most
> accessible themes I've used. I have a real problem with 'light' themes and
> need themes with a darker background. Unfortunately, I also have problems
> with some 'pink' or 'purple' colours, which just appear blurred to me.

FWIW I’d say Solarized Dark is far tamer than the light version, and it
sometimes feels like the light version was never intended seriously by
the colourscheme’s original creator.

> The solarised themse are good themes and quite popular and I think they
> should definitely be added to the default set of themes included in Emacs.
> Whether either of them should be the default theme is another question, but
> it would be good to be able to just turn them on if needed.

That’s why I think fiddling with defaults is kinda missing the point.
We all have what our minds want and bodies need, and the colours of a
program we’ll use a lot, if configurable, is one of the first things
we’ll adjust.  When I watch coding videos for example, I rarely see
people sticking to even VS Code’s or Sublime Text’s default
colourschemes, which are dark and ‘trendy’.  So it might not be worth
the breakage.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427