Re: A modern-mode?

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:30:50 +0300

On 2020-09-16 10:36 +03, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
> The word modern has a negative meaning in that it implies that the
> rest of Emacs isn't modern -- why would users ever want to switch of
> "modern-mode" and use the un-modern Emacs?

IMHO reading too much into names is not productive.  ‘Modern’ is a term
that’s used fairly often in this context, and what to expect would be
obvious to those who would want to use such a mode: features common to
contemporary text editors.

What features to put in there could slowly brew until 28 is released.
There’s no harm in starting out with Andrea’s opinions and slowly
refining it with feedback from within and from without.  But if we keep
yak shaving over names and particularities we won’t have anything to
refine.  And we’ve already doubled the traffic of Sep 2019...

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427