Re: Context menus and mouse-3

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 22:45:44 +0300

> I have an impression that relative to Emacs's capability, mouse support
> is not as good as expected.
>
> - Horizontal scroll by wheel is supported.

Please explain how horizontal scroll by wheel is supported.
I tried to use Shift-wheel like in other apps,
but it doesn't scroll horizontally.

> - Moving text using mouse is supported.

Also please explain how moving text using mouse is supported.
I tried to drag the selection with mouse-1,
but it doesn't move text.

> * Contextual menu is not supported yet.
>
> I think that depending on a thing at mouse event (file, dir, or URL),
> choice of operation should be popped up.  When there is no suggestion,
> `Edit' menu should be popped up.  Also, by click on mode-line, buffer
> list should be popped up.
>
> I am using a global minor mode `poplife-mode' that puts commands on
> mouse-3.  I attach a file with poplife-mode to show the idea.

Thanks, this is a good starting point for adding contextual menu.
I tried poplife-mode, and it pops up the menu on mouse-3,
but it seems only when there is the selection already,
i.e. it doesn't pop up the menu when nothing is selected.
Is this intended to work this way?