Re: Patch for emacs/basic.texi

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch for emacs/basic.texi
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 23:57:14 -0400

  > Could it be that you misremembered what was the "trick" behind having
  > both `C-/` and `C-_` keybindings (it's not `C--` but `C-/` that gets
  > mapped to C-_)?

Nothing like that.

When I came up with this binding scheme, I had to find a solution that
worked with the terminals that existed.  The text terminals supported
only the control characters of ASCII.  C-- is the same as C-_, which
is ^_, 037.  There is no C-? in ASCII, so C-/ and C-?  send DEL (0177)
-- not available for Undo.

Later I found that C-/ was a convenient binding for terminals that
could support the CTRL key with any printing character.

This history should be in the ChangeLogs.

xterm displays only text, but it supports the CTRL key with any
printing character, like X itself.  For output, it is a text terminal,
but in input it is like a graphics terminal.

--
Dr Richard Stallman