Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:22:51 -0400

   I like the idea of a configuration wizard, but I agree that I
   wouldn't want to have to deal with it when logging into a new
   machine or using emacs -Q.

   What if the installer created a file somewhere in Emacs etc folder,
   such as `trigger_conf_wizard'. Then, Emacs checks if that file
   exists or not. If it does exist, run the configuration wizard and
   subsequently delete the file. If it doesn't exist, skip the
   wizard. This way too if you're fooling around with your .emacs, or
   testing the vanilla configuration, you won't have to worry about
   the wizard or figuring out the switch for it.

I'm not sure I follow, isn't that exactly the same thing as checking
for .emacs or not? That is, if you're on a new machine, then there is
nothing to check for so the wizard popup or whatever will be shown.