Re: Add some built-in faces for inheritance

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Add some built-in faces for inheritance
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 09:21:37 -0400

+1 on this idea.

I always cringe a little when I see a package define faces
with hardcoded color values.  I think the majority (perhaps
~80%) should be inherited so that themes can work without
having to declare every face in every package.

A few ideas off the top of my head from setting faces long ago.

- a label and value face that could be used for message
  headers (and their values), key/values in code, org
  properties, etc.
- title, author, date
- filename, directoryname, executable, symlink, url,
- level-1 - level-10 to be used in message/gnus citations,
  outlines, html headings, org/markdown headings, regexp group highlights,
  symbol-overlay.el, etc.
- enabled, disabled, emphasized for UI elements

Perhaps there are a set of faces to be merged with others to
support emphasis.  In gnus headers, I want the header
name in one color (label face above), the header value in
another (value above), and I want to highlight the values of
Subject and From.  Perhaps those use title or author face,
or perhaps they merge with emphasized face which does bold
by default but could allow someone to change it to underline
or a different background, etc.

--

Howard