Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Nicolas P. Rougier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 14:29:28 +0200

Thanks to your message I just realized that I made some confusion between the actual startup page and the about-emacs page that are similar yet different (for me they were the same since I disabled the startup screen a long time ago and never really read it). I also realized the startup page in graphical (emacs -q) and terminal mode (emacs -q -nw) are also different on my system for some unknown reason to me. In my case, only the terminal version display some useful key bindings.

Initially, my idea was to have a transient splash screen that can be bypassed by an experienced user but leads automatically to the startup screen for a new user where useful information is displayed. Now I've a problem because it's not clear how to show the initial startup screen;

Nicolas

Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> writes:

I really want to like this, it looks nice -- though I miss the
graphics. But it is lacking the usefulness, and direction of the original. A new user would be totally lost as to what one would do, reminiscant of the way vi starts up with nothing other than beeps.

Also, where would the information about recovering files be shown?

What about do you think about this? While I think the visit new file "link" is useful, I think it would be good to keep the menu bar shown when the splash screen is shown, since most users would be familiar with the File menu and want to open a
file that way.

                              GNU Emacs
                                 26.3
                           is free software
                                 and
                   part of the GNU operating system

                               Tutorial
                                Manual

              If an Emacs session crashed recently, type
                       M-x recover-session RET
                to recover the files you were editing.

             GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY