Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 18:05:47 +0300

> From: Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 16:43:44 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > [...]
> > Thanks, but I think we may be miscommunicating.  A package can belong
> > to more than one category -- what do you propose to do in that case?
>
> Let it have one and only one category, and as many tags as the package's
> author wishes.

Why does it matter whether we call it "category" or "tags".  The
important part is what the user thinks about a package.  And a single
package can satisfy several different needs.

So I think the idea of categorization that assumes a single category
per package is basically unworkable, because it's too restrictive, and
won't stand the test of time.