Re: Question collaborative editing.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing.
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 12:00:36 -0500

On 30 Sep 2020, Ergus wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 02:40:26AM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
>>On 30 Sep 2020, Ergus wrote:
>>>I would be concerned about the performance (but I am paranoid about
>>>Emacs performance anyway so don't worry for that). AFAIR emacs buffers
>>>are stored in a contiguous way (I may be wrong)
>>
>>Information about how Emacs buffers are represented under the hood can be
>>found here:
>>
>>* https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src/buffer.h#n213
>>
>>* https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Buffer-Gap.html
>>
>This is interesting indeed.
>
>I was looking at this to compare what's around:
>
>https://ecc-comp.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-brief-glance-at-how-5-text-editors.html

When I responded, I should have added what Eli later said in the thread, though:

There's no reason why the underlying (C level) implementation of buffers should
matter here.  I expect that collaborative editing can be successfully
implemented entirely in Elisp; it would be very, very surprising if you need to
look at or even understand anything at the C level for this.

Best regards,
-Karl